Monolithic Power Systems (MPS) is a high performance analog semiconductor company headquartered in San Jose, California. Formed in 1997, the company has three core strengths: deep system-level and applications knowledge, strong analog design expertise, and an innovative proprietary process technology. These combined advantages enable MPS to deliver highly integrated monolithic products that offer energy efficient, cost-effective solutions.
MPS’ systems and applications expertise stems from a team of industry veterans who possess a combination of highly-technical electronics knowledge, sophisticated system and IC level design capabilities, and extensive customer application experience. This allows the company to work closely with customers to identify new product opportunities, reduce time-to-market, and effectively support its applications. In addition, MPS has developed a portfolio of intellectual property and proprietary wafer fabrication processes that enhance its products and market share. MPS design teams hail from distinguished analog semiconductor companies and top universities with extensive experience per designer. The teams have brought many innovative product suites to market and helped increase the company’s annual revenue by an average of 28% between 2004 and 2009. These talented individuals, coupled with MPS’ technology advantages, have created an emerging leader in the future of analog technology.
MPS’ proprietary BCD Plus™ process technology is the key to its competitive advantage. Many conventional analog technologies are handicapped by an inability to support the integration of power devices at high power levels. This results in unacceptably large semiconductors and/or significant levels of power loss. High power loss results in significant heat dissipation. This must be managed to avoid damaging or reducing the overall performance and efficiency of the system.
Other analog semiconductor vendors rely on multiple chip solutions to avoid these issues. In contrast, MPS’ BCD Plus process technology resolves each of these issues. Implemented at standard CMOS foundries, this unique process integrates BiCMOS signal transistors with a highly efficient DMOS power transistor. This allows MPS to design and deliver smaller, single-chip power management ICs that are highly efficient and accurate. In addition, MPS’ single process technology simplifies the design process and is applicable across a wide range of analog applications. The result is higher productivity and significant cost advantages for any MPS customer. MPS’ product families include:
* DC/DC converter ICs, including AEC-Q100 qualified, modules, PMICs, and PMUs that provide the supply voltage to a variety of electronic devices and automotive applications
* Multiphase converters up to 200A for computing and telecom markets
* POL regulators with extremely low Iq to support longer battery life of mobile applications
* Efuses, load switches, and USB current-limit switches for enterprise and consumer markets
* AC/DC controller and converter ICs for consumer and industrial markets
* Battery chargers and protection devices for mobile and portable applications
* Power over Ethernet (PoE) PD solutions for various applications, including IP phones, network cameras, and WLAN access points
* LED driver ICs used in general illumination for residential and professional end markets
* Backlight driver and panel bias ICs used in LCD displays, such as those found in smart phones, tablet PCs, notebook PCs, flat-panel displays, and televisions
* Stepper motor, brushless DC motor, and Brushed DC motor drivers for consumer and industrial applications
* Class-D audio amplifier ICs that are well-suited for consumer electronic devices
* Linear ICs including operational and current-sense amplifiers
MPS is a fabless semiconductor company, working with third party foundries. However, in contrast to many other fabless companies that use standard process technologies, MPS works with its foundry partners to install its own proprietary process technology in their facilities for use solely by MPS.
MPS has over 1,000 employees worldwide, located in the United States, China, Taiwan, Korea, Japan, Singapore, and across Europe.